- The National Institutes of Health (USA) - National Institute on Drug Use - research and publications for those who like to understand the science behind the monster of addiction.
- How to Stop Enabling (blog post) - no one has been able to give me a clear succinct definition of enabling, but that's okay ... this post gives a clear, succinct guide to stopping.
- Hijacking the Brain - an interesting, scientific yet accessible analysis of the ways in which alcohol and drug addiction change brain structures and functioning. It focuses on why the 12 step approach to recovery works. Mainly a promotion for the book of the same name, but with useful information.
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction by Dr. Gabor Mate - the book that has become my textbook for life and for mothering My Son. It is an intelligent, compassionate, insightful balance of stories of addiction, research, and suggestions for hope and recovery.
- Anawim House - I am proud to be on the board of directors of this home, where men who are ready to leave the world of drug dependence and homelessness and find purpose, community, and a whole new kind of life.
- Umbrella Society - education and support for addicts and the people who care about them.
- VIHA - Mental Health & Addiction Services - inpatient, outpatient, detox and support services, as well as an extensive resources in the community. A part of me wishes that mental health and addiction were listed separately, though I certainly understand why they aren't.